Clusters, voids and reconstructions of the cosmic web

Evert Gerardus Patrick Bos

Research output: ThesisThesis fully internal (DIV)

762 Downloads (Pure)


The Universe is filled for 95% with dark matter and energy that we cannot see. Of the remaining 5% normal matter we can only see a small part. However, if we want to study the Universe as a whole, we will have to get to know it for 100%. We have to uncover indirectly where dark matter is hiding and what is the nature of dark energy. In this thesis we explore two such methods.

The first part describes how we can use the large empty regions between galaxies, "voids", to learn more about dark energy. We converted our theoretical simulations to a model of real observations of galaxies. In this model, we perform the same measurements as we would in real observations. This way, we show that it is indeed possible to unravel the nature of dark energy.

The second part is based on our computer code: BARCODE. It unites two models: a physical model of the formation of the Cosmic Web, and a description of the observational effects of (clusters of) galaxies, in particular the effect of redshift on distance measurements. It allows us to back-trace our observations to the primordial conditions. These enable us to trace all (dark) matter, also that which we did not directly observe. The result is a reconstruction of the complete Cosmic Web. In these, we studied "filaments". These objects have not yet been extensively studied. BARCODE will enable further study, e.g. by using it to find observable filaments.
Original languageEnglish
QualificationDoctor of Philosophy
Awarding Institution
  • University of Groningen
  • van de Weijgaert, Marinus, Supervisor
  • Kaastra, J. S., Supervisor, External person
  • Kitaura, Francisco S., Co-supervisor, External person
Award date5-Dec-2016
Place of Publication[Groningen]
Print ISBNs978-90-367-9282-0
Electronic ISBNs978-90-367-9281-3
Publication statusPublished - 2016

Cite this